193 of 254 Fannin County Courthouse, Bonham, Texas. County Population: 33,915
I visited Fannin County and photographed the courthouse in Bonham on Saturday, August 3, 2013.
"Fannin County comprises 895 square miles of mainly blackland, with a claypan area in the north near the Red River. The topography has little variety, with ranges of moderately rolling hills throughout the county. Fannin County has an elevation ranging between 500 and 700 feet above sea level.
"[Beginning in 1836] white settlers arrived by riverboat at Jonesborough in what is now Red River County. Because of rapid population growth, Dr. Daniel Rowlett presented a petition to the Texas Congress on October 5, 1837, requesting that a new county be formed from a section of Red River County west of Bois D'Arc Creek. The county was originally to be named Independence, but during the course of opening debates over the bill the name was changed to Fannin, in honor of James Walker Fannin, Jr., a martyred hero of the Texas Revolution. The legislation [was] approved on December 14, 1837. "On November 28, 1839, another act was passed by Congress to define the boundaries of Fannin County, which at the time included land that later became Grayson, Collin, Cooke, Denton, Montague, Wise, Clay, Jack, Wichita, Archer, Young, Wilbarger, Baylor, Throckmorton, Hardeman, Foard, Knox, Haskell, Stonewall, King, Cottle, and Childress counties, as well as parts of Hunt and Collingsworth counties. The present-day boundaries were established and approved on March 14, 1846.
"The county government was moved to Warren on January 8, 1840.
"Bois D'Arc became county seat in turn on January 16, 1843. In 1844 Bois D'Arc was renamed Bonham in honor of James Butler Bonham, a defender of the Alamo."
Kelly Pigott, "FANNIN COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online
Fannin County Courthouse 1888
Architects Wesley Clark Dodson & Dudley designed this Second Empire - Renaissance Revival style courthouse for Fannin County. Kane & Cormack were the contractors. The limestone-clad building served the county until a 1929 fire caused severe damage to the structure, including the complete destruction of the tower.
Following the fire, Allen & Bragg Contractors substantially altered the courthouse. The "new" courthouse was essentially the original 1888 building without the roof and tower.
In 1965 the courthouse was once again remodeled, this time by Architects & Engineers Fred Buford & Associates, with B-F-W Construction Co. A new exterior stone cladding and contemporary windows in a "modern" style encapsulated the 1888 courthouse. One building, three versions!
The Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program Round IX Recipients (July 22, 2016): Fannin County--$5,040,000 full restoration grant award for their 1888 courthouse by architect Wesley Clark Dodson. This project will reverse changes to the three-story Second Empire courthouse that were made during a 1966 renovation and in 1930 following an extensive fire. Through restoration and reconstruction, the courthouse exterior and major interior public spaces will be returned to their nineteenth century appearance. Fannin County has construction plans & specifications available for the complete project which were funded through a Round V THCPP emergency planning grant in 2008. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT RESTORATION PROJECT!!!! See photos below...