101 of 254: Liberty County Courthouse, Liberty, Texas. County Population: 86,173
"In 1831 land commissioner José Francisco Madero organized a municipality known as Villa de la Santísima Trinidad de la Libertad, which embraced most of Southeast Texas; ...
"The new seat of government, called Liberty by the Anglo-Americans, was located about three miles southwest of old Atascosito.
"... the territory between the San Jacinto and Sabine rivers continued to be known thereafter as Liberty and functioned as a municipality.
"Liberty County, formed and organized in 1836 in the new Republic of Texas, originally included all of the future Tyler County and parts of what later became Hardin, Chambers, San Jacinto, and Polk counties. Liberty was named county seat and incorporated in 1837.
"The town was founded near the sites of a Spanish settlement called Atascosito (established in 1756) and Champ d'Asile, a French colony established in 1818. The area was first occupied by American squatters as early as 1818, when it was still under Spanish law; ..."
Diana J. Kleiner, "LIBERTY COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online
"Liberty once stood at the head of navigation on the Trinity River. ... Liberty served as a shipping point for plantations along the Trinity, for lumber operations, and for a variety of shipments from farmers. Sam Houston practiced law in the community from the 1830s to the 1850s. He main-tained two plantation homes in Liberty County until his death."
Diana J. Kleiner, "LIBERTY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online
I visited Liberty County and photographed the courthouse in Liberty on June 1, 2011.
Liberty County Courthouse 1931
"Enjoying the county's oil-fed economic and population boom of the early 20th century, the Liberty County Commissioner's Court began to examine the adequacy of its 1895 courthouse. In May 1927, they noted that the old Court House as it now exists is not adequate to the needs of Liberty County and does not sufficiently protect the records. The county hired Houston architect Corneil G. Curtis and asked for a report comparing the costs and benefits of repairing the existing courthouse versus replacing it. Curtis prepared a complete proposal for the existing building's renovation, but he very clearly favored the counterproposal of replacement, using phrases like, 'thoroughly modern fireproof construction, including the most modern conveniences, and affording the greatest efficiency at the least maintenance costs and upkeep.'
"The progressive-minded commissioners court swiftly agreed with Curtis's
recommendation and authorized him to prepare the plans for a new, modern courthouse. Although there was apparently a considerable amount of local support for keeping the 1895 building, their sentiment was ultimately no match for the demands of progress."
From the National Register narrative