117 of 254: McCulloch County Courthouse, Brady, Texas. County Population: 8,283
"The geographical center of Texas is located in northeastern McCulloch County at 31°21' north latitude and 99°14' west longitude, sixteen miles northeast of Brady.
"In 1847 John O. Meusebach met with Comanche chiefs near the site of present Camp San Saba and signed the Meusebach-Comanche Treaty with them, but the threat of attacks and raids by the Comanches and other tribes delayed settlement of the area until the 1870s, when most of the Indians were moved to reservations outside Texas.
"The Sixth Legislature formed McCulloch County from the Bexar District in 1856 and named it in honor of Benjamin McCulloch. In the late 1850s a few families came to the Lost Creek area and to the sites of present Milburn and Camp San Saba, but the population remained too small for permanent organization of the county. In 1860 McCulloch County was attached to San Saba County for judicial purposes. Some officials were elected for McCulloch County in the 1860s, and evidence suggests that the Voca and Lost Creek communities were the center of county affairs during these years, but it was not until 1876 that all of the county offices were filled and a county seat [Brady] was chosen.
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MCCULLOCH COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online
I visited McCulloch County and photographed the courthouse in Brady on Sunday, September 4, 2011.
McCulloch County Courthouse 1900
"The McCulloch County Courthouse built by Martin and Moodie of Comanche, representing the "Turn Key" Construction Company, is built in a modified Romanesque style. A three story structure of cream-colored native sandstone, it follows the traditional cross axial plan. Built with arched vaults throughout, the interior retains the original wainscoting and stair-railings of what was originally pine woodwork and flooring throughout.
"On May 9, 1899, the County Commissioners met to consider the advisability of constructing a new courthouse. The commissioner met again on May 11, at which time it was noted that "the Plans and Specifications presented by Messers. Martin and Moodie for the erection of a new courthouse. . . was this day by the court adopted as Plans and Specifications to be used in the erection of said courthouse." On June 16, 1899 the contract was awarded to the firm of Martin and Moodie for their "best and most responsible bid" of $33,000.00."
From the National Register narrative