On Tuesday, May 22, I returned to Houston from Abilene via Highway 36. Along the way I stopped in Gatesville, seat of Coryell County, to revisit the courthouse. I'd first photographed this historic courthouse on May 14, 2009. Here's a view of the courthouse as I approached it. The building is a W.C. Dodson design, dating from 1898.
As I photographed the courthouse, a pickup drove by with an old-timer at the wheel and his dog leaning out the window. He slowed down and spoke to me: "It's sure purdy, ain't it?" I sure agree.
After lunch, I proceeded down Highway 36, pass the north entrance to Fort Hood and through Temple. My next stop was Cameron, the seat of Milam County. I'd taken some photos of the Milam County courthouse on the first day of this trip, but I wanted to spend some time in the square today. Cameron has a nice, 2 block courthouse square. The courthouse occupies one block and faces onto a tree-lined park on the other block.
The building dates from 1892 and was designed by the architectural firm of Larmour & Watson. Like many Texas courthouses, this one is surrounded by mature trees that shade, and screen, the building. This makes phtotographing the courthouse difficult. See what I mean?
I know, I could shoot it in the winter, but that's not my preference. I would rather work around the trees, so to speak.
This was the last courthouse I visited during my May road trip. All total, I was able to visit 17 courthouses in 6 days on the road. 10 new counties and 7 repeats. It was a great trip. 153 counties down, 101 to go!
Leonard G. Lane, Jr., AIA
- Chronological Order (of my visits)
- County List (alphabetical)
- County Seat List (alphabetical)
- Texas Courthouse Blog
- James Riely Gordon, Architect
- Eugene T. Heiner, Architect
- Henry T. Phelps, Architect
- Alfred Giles, Architect
- Corneil G. Curtis, Architect
- Wesley Clark Dodson, Architect
- Lang & Witchell Architects
- Voelcker & Dixon, Architects
- Wyatt C. Hedrick, Architect
- David S. Castle, Architect
- Page Brothers, Architects
- James Edward Flanders, Architect
- Pierce, Norris, Pace & Associates, Architects & Engineers